Hi, my name is Amy Bookwalter. I have been a labor doula for over 30 years. I am also a certified childbirth educator and doula trainer. I have been happily married to Rick since 1984 and we have 9 wonderful children – 8 sons and 1 daughter. I have had a passion for pregnant and laboring moms since I was in high school.
As a Physical Therapist Assistant, I bring my past medical training to help moms have a more comfortable and enjoyable pregnancy, labor and delivery. I also bring my personal experience of my own nine deliveries and my labor doula training to help make a difference.
I am certified through CAPPA and DONA International. I have trained through Academy of Husband-Coached Childbirth (The Bradley Method) and am certified through Lamaze as a childbirth educator. I am also a certified peanut ball trainer.
I have assisted laboring moms in all the major hospitals in Northern Virginia, George Washington University Hospital, Sibley Hospital in Washington, DC, as well as two military hospitals in the area, birth centers, home births and home water births. These moms have had non-medicated, slightly medicated, VBAC's, inductions, augmentations, epidurals, vacuum, scheduled and non-scheduled cesarean births. I have also worked with single moms, married couples, partners, and moms placing their baby with adoptive families. I have helped dads that wanted to "breathe every breath" with the mom, and dads that "really would rather be out fishin'," and pretty much everything in between.
- Illinois Central College, Associate Degree in Applied Science, Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA)
- Cappa, Certified Labor Doula (CLD)
- Dona International, Certified Labor Doula (CD)
- Spinning Babies with Gail Tully
- Lamaze Childbirth Educator Certification (LCCE)
- Childhood Sexual Abuse and its Impact on the Woman in Later Childbearing with Penny Simpkin
- Lamaze International Creativity, Connection and Commitment Supporting Teens During Pregnancy
- Supporting Woman Through Perinatal Loss, with Miriam Maslin
- Gabrial Project
I have had the pleasure to train with the best of the best in the birthing industry.
The Peanut Ball Lady
Ina May Gaskin - Midwife
The first doula baby
© 2012-2017 Rosebud Doula